Feeling thirsty, dizzy, and tired can show your body is dehydrated and can make you feel weak, drained, and less able to perform. This is how you recognize a lack of water.
When you are young and healthy, you are made up of around 70 percent water. The proportion in the body depends on many factors and varies according to age, gender and body fat percentage.
Women and the elderly dehydrate faster. Bacon rolls also increase the risk of dehydration.
Drinking a lot is essential to avoid dehydration!
Your Body’s Warning Signals When You Are Dehydrated
- You’re thirsty: Now hurry up – because the feeling of thirst often only comes when the body is already dehydrated. We often mistake thirst for hunger and grab the next snack instead of drinking.
That’s why the first thing you should always do is grab a glass of water, not the fridge.
- You have a headache: Studies repeatedly conclude that drinking water can significantly relieve headaches. The reason: If the body is not supplied with enough water, the blood also thickens.
The brain is less supplied with blood. The brain responds with a headache. Half a liter of water often helps better than a painkiller when the pain comes.
- Fatigue: If you feel tired or have trouble concentrating, it could be because you aren’t drinking enough. Those who are sufficiently hydrated are mentally more efficient. So grab a glass of water!
- Your skin is dry: If you don’t drink enough, your skin becomes less elastic. Slight wrinkles and dandruff quickly appear. A dry mouth also indicates a lack of water. Because the mucous membranes also dry out quickly.
- You have dark circles: A tired look with dark circles under the eyes is not always due to a short night. Dehydration also makes us look old quickly.
A consequence of insufficient fluid intake is a lack of oxygen in the cells. Give your body a few sips of water.
This thins the blood, and the cells are better resupplied with oxygen.
- Your digestion is on strike: Constipation can occur if the gastrointestinal tract is not supplied with enough liquid. All cells in the body must be supplied with sufficient liquid – including those in the intestine.
Healthy digestion works like a water slide. If the food pulp is on dry land, it is more challenging to progress. What helps? Drink! With enough liquid, digestion gets going again.
- Your urine is dark yellow: A look into the toilet bowl also indicates the body’s water balance: the lighter your urine, the better you are hydrated.
A dark yellow to the brownish color of the urine, on the other hand, is a sign of dehydration.
ALSO READ: THESE 5 FOODS ENSURE A HEALTHY GUT