Many believe that a balanced diet is obtained through deprivation and sacrifice. Still, the truth is that dedication and discipline are the main factors in reaching this ideal level of diet, which is something possible and more straightforward than we usually imagine.
In addition, it is also essential to understand the benefits we can achieve by adopting a more diverse, balanced and natural diet, leaving aside fast food and processed foods, at least from our main meals.
Avoiding is necessary, but cutting everything you like to eat is entirely expendable! Understand definitively what a balanced diet is and its importance in improving our quality of life. Check out seven practical tips for adopting this habit in your routine.
What Is A Balanced Diet?
We can define a balanced diet as having more complete, diversified and natural meals composed of ingredients capable of providing all the essential nutrients for the body’s healthy functioning in adequate concentrations.
This means that a balanced diet comprises more varied and “coloured” dishes containing foods that belong to the most important groups. In addition, it recognizes groups with less nutritional value or of lesser importance, indicating a reduction in the amount ingested, without this meaning a complete restriction.
You need to prioritize more natural, nutritious, healthy foods. Balance and proportion become your allies; including a low-value food group in meals is ideal for counteracting this fact with high-value ingredients.
Classification of food groups can be done as follows:
- Cereals: foods like rice, wheat and cassava, which are rich in carbohydrates and essential sources of energy for the body;
- fruits: have the function of serving as a source of essential vitamins and minerals for the body, widely known as foods to avoid flu and other diseases because of this nutritional value;
- Vegetables: these are vegetables that, like fruits, serve mainly as a source of essential nutrients to stimulate and maintain biological functions at healthy levels;
- milk and derivatives: sources of minerals such as calcium, fats and proteins, foods with a lower fat content, such as skimmed foods, are more suitable, but the traditional versions should also be consumed, as long as they are not consumed in excess;
- meat: sources of animal proteins, as well as essential vitamins and minerals, such as B12 and iron;
- Legumes: these are foods such as beans, chickpeas, soybeans and lentils, important vegetable sources of proteins, vitamins, antioxidant minerals and unsaturated fats;
- Fats: oils of vegetable origin, such as olive oil and soy oil, and animal oils, such as butter and lard, serve as a source of energy and calories, but animal fats are rich in cholesterol and can cause problems for cardiovascular health;
- Sugars: sugar provides energy for the body, but its consumption must be reduced to avoid problems such as obesity and chronic diseases such as diabetes.
How To Have A Balanced Diet?
When thinking about a balanced diet, the most important thing is to value the food groups in the above order.
Cereals found in rice and bread are sources of energy that support motor activities and metabolism, being the base of the food pyramid. Above them, we have fruits and vegetables, which serve as sources of vitamins and minerals.
Next, we have meat and legumes, which are sources of vitamins and minerals, in addition to meeting the body’s demand for animal and vegetable proteins. So far, all food groups should be consumed daily.
Finally, we have fats and sugars. As mentioned, fats are important sources of calories and energy, in addition to being essential for the synthesis of fat-soluble vitamins. However, it is recommended to prioritize vegetable fats to avoid cholesterol.
Sugar in sweets is a little nutritious and should not be consumed excessively; its intake should not be daily.
7 Tips For A Balanced And Nutritious Diet
Having a balanced diet is a matter of habit. The offer of processed foods, fast foods and sweets are large and comfortable, but focusing on health and seeking a more balanced and natural diet is essential.
To facilitate the adoption of this habit, we separate seven valuable tips for you; check them out:
Plan Your Meals In Advance
Planning meals in advance is essential, as it allows the person to assemble meals based on the main food groups, ensuring that everything you need for a healthy life is on your plate.
In addition, this care allows for more assertive trips to the market, with the items in the cart being chosen according to the idealized recipes. This also prevents impulses and diet escapes, especially when we’re in a hurry and can’t think of what to prepare.
Have Allies In This Initiative
Developing a balanced diet is easier when we have allies in this endeavor. Therefore, it is worth explaining the importance of this habit to family and friends to create a group that motivates and encourages persistence.
Avoid Going Long Periods Without Eating Anything
As hunger increases, we are more likely to commit slips and exaggerations, so it’s good to avoid long periods of fasting. It is recommended to take a snack or snack in small portions, with intervals of approximately three hours.
Among the leading nominees, we can suggest chestnuts, nuts and fruits.
Avoid Processed Foods And Prefer Natural Foods
Processed foods tend to offer less nutritional value than other natural options; in addition to containing preservatives and chemical compounds with potentially harmful health, a balanced diet prioritizes natural and freshly prepared alternatives.
Cherish And Enjoy Every Meal
A balanced diet is a habit and needs to be valued to motivate our discipline. It is not always possible to eat calmly, but whenever it is within your reach, dedicate some time to that moment. It is essential to enjoy each meal and give due relevance to these moments.
Associate Food With Other Healthier Practices
Just like having a support group, adopting more healthy habits while implementing a balanced diet can encourage and facilitate achieving remarkable results in your life.
For example, along with a balanced diet, how about starting to practice light physical activities? In this way, combining two practices that improve energy, disposition and well-being in addition to stimulating health and strengthening immunity is possible.
Divide The Plate Into Four Parts
Want a practical tip on how to have a balanced diet? Then follow the technique of dividing the plate into four parts, then plan the meal to fill it as follows:
- One part must be composed of carbohydrates, such as rice, pasta, potatoes or cassava, to provide that energy;
- One part must provide its proteins; that is, it must contain meat or legumes, such as chicken filet, beans or soybeans;
- The two remaining parts must be composed of sources of vitamins, minerals and fibers; they must contain vegetables, greens or fruits.
In addition, fruits are healthy and nutritious alternatives to compose your dessert or an excellent juice to drink during meals.
ALSO READ: FOODS THAT BOOST IMMUNITY